Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Youtube/ Low-bridge Videos

What stands out to me most about this topic is the difference between writing and making a quick video like the one we are working on. I hardly see them as the same thing, but I do think that they can be related in a lot of ways.

Firstly, well produced, home made movies like the ones we are working on usually have a plan and a script. Both of these are pieces of writing. Dialog has to be viewed in the same way an essay would have to be viewed. The writing has to be clear and understandable, and it has to sound good.

The difference between writing and the video making process comes in the production and post production aspects. Filming and editing have little to do with the writing process. Both of these things are done with the plan and script in mind, so they are adhering to a piece of writing that has already been done, but neither are writing themselves.

What I'm trying to say is that there is definitely a fair comparison to be made. A video is written, just like a story. I compare it to someone reading a story to a group of people. What does that have to do with writing? Is it writing itself? No, it isn't. What it is, however, is directly related to the writing, and therefore can be described as a part of the writing. I view films in the same light.

Most importantly, Youtube videos and other low-bridge videos allow us to do MORE with our writing. We can take it a step further. With current technology anybody can go out and do what only the best novelists and screenwriters and been able to do in the past: SHOW your writing in a medium other than simple words on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment